My researcher focuses on Media Accessibility. I have specifically developed expertise in Audio Description for the blind and visually impaired, for film, television, theater and opera.
My research interests include audio description (AD) and subtitling for the deaf and hard-of-hearing (SDH), linguistic aspects of AD, Audio Subtitling, Multimodality in Audiovisual Translation, Corpus Studies in Audiovisual Translation, Machine Translation in Audiovisual Translation, the role of sound in Media Accessibility services, teaching & guideline development for Audio Description, accessibility of live events and accessibility management.
As coördinator of OPEN, the Expertise Centre for Accessible Media & Culture of the University of Antwerp, I am particularly interested in projects that bridge the gap between academia and the professional field.
Below is an overview of the research projects in which I am involved:
- European Erasmus+ project “ADLAB PRO: Audio Description: A Laboratory for the Development of a New Professional Profile”
- PhD project on Audio Description of Dutch films and series
- European Erasmus+ project “Accessible Culture and training”
- European Erasmus+ project ADLAB
- STIMPRO project “Audio Description for the Theatre: Preparing the Stage”